Contributors

Monday, February 15, 2016

Who needs a guardian and conservator?

Many people, at some point in their life, will need help from someone else in their day-to-day responsibilities, health decisions and finances.  For most people, this happens when they become legally "incapacitated", meaning they are no longer able to make those decisions for themselves.  We see this with our parents and grandparents when they get dementia or Alzheimer, we see it with our children who turn 18, legally independent, but have things that prevent them from functioning independently, i.e. autism, brain tumor, etc.

For the former, our parents and grandparents, they could prevent needing a guardian and conservator by executing an advanced medical direction and power of attorney prior to their incapacitation.  Those documents put in writing their wishes for who how decisions will be made and who will make those decisions on their behalf.  However, for our children who are incapacitated prior to turning 18 and individuals who did not execute a power of attorney or advanced medical directive, we use a guardianship and conservatorship to ensure their rights are protected.

While they are typically done together, a guardian and conservator are two separate legal identities and can, in fact, be two different people.  Let's start with a guardian.  A guardian, is appointed by the court through a Petition for Guardianship, to take care of an individual on a day-to-day basis, make health decisions, etc.  This person typically will report to the Department of Social Services, who oversees the guardianship and ensures the guardian is fulfilling his duties and responsibilities to the incapacitated individual.  A conservator is the financial counterpart to the guardian.  A conservator, appointed by the court through a Petition for Conservatorship, handles the incapacitated individual's finances.  This person reports to an individual or agency; in Virginia it is the Commissioner of Accounts in the County where the incapacitated individual resides.  This person will report all money coming in for the incapacitated individual and spell out how that money gets spent, invested, etc.  The Commissioner of Accounts ensures that the conservator is appropriately handling the incapacitated individuals finances and not abusing their power.  The guardian and conservator must report to the Department of Social Services and Commissioner of Accounts at least annually throughout the duration of their appointment as guardian and conservator (in most cases this is until the incapacitated individual passes away or a new guardian or conservator is needed).

To actually get a guardian and conservator appointed, the court will appoint a guardian ad litem to investigate the circumstances, ensure the incapacitated individual is represented and protected and make recommendations to the court on whether a guardian and conservator are necessary as well as who the court should appoint to act in those roles.  During a hearing in court, the court will make those determinations and if appropriate, issue an order appointing someone as guardian and conservator.

So, if you have a family member or close friend who you think may be incapacitated, in need of legal assistance and without a valid power of attorney or advanced medical directive, you may need to begin the process of petitioning the court to appoint a guardian and conservator.

2 comments:

  1. How Lemeridian funding service  grant me a loan!!!

    Hello everyone, I'm Lea Paige Matteo from Zurich Switzerland and want to use this medium to express gratitude to lemeridian funding service for fulfilling his promise by granting me a loan, I was stuck in a financial situation and needed to refinance and pay my bills as well as start up a Business. I tried seeking for loans from various loan firms both private and corporate organisations but never succeeded and most banks declined my credit request. But as God would have it, I was introduced by a friend named Lisa Rice to Le_meridian funding service and undergone the due process of obtaining a loan from the company, to my greatest surprise within 48hrs just like my friend Lisa, I was also granted a loan of $216,000.00 So my advise to everyone who desires a loan, "if you must contact any firm with reference to securing a loan online with low interest rate of 1.9% and better repayment plans/schedule, please contact Le_meridian funding service. Besides, he doesn't know that am doing this but due to the joy in me, I'm so happy and wish to let people know more about this great company whom truly give out loans, it is my prayer that GOD should bless them more as they put smiles on peoples faces. You can contact them via email on {lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com Or lfdsloans@outlook.com} or Text through Whatsapp +1-989 394 3740.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My testimony of Getting ex back after a breakup
    My boyfriend of a 4year just broke up with me and I am 3 weeks pregnant. I have cried myself to sleep most nights. Sometimes I stay awake almost all night thinking about him and start to cry all over again. Because of this I end up not having energy for my next day’s classes, my attendance has dropped and am always in uni and on time. Generally he is a very nice guy, he ended it because he said we were arguing a lot and not getting along. He is right we’ve been arguing during the pregnancy a lot. After the break up I kept ringing him and telling him I will change. I am in love with this guy and he is the best guy I have ever been with. I’m still hurt and in disbelief when he said he didn’t have any romantic feelings towards me anymore that hurt me faster than a lethal syringe. He texts me once and then mainly to check up on how am doing with the pregnancy, he is supportive with it but it’s not fair on me, him texting me as I just want to grieve the pain and not have any stress due to the pregnancy. I was really upset and I needed help, so one day I came across a website that suggested that Dr. Imoloa can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and so on. So I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and I did it then he did a spell for me. 2 weeks later, my boyfriend came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promise never to do it again. Ever since then, everything is back  to normal. I and my boyfriend and I are living together happily again. Dr. Imoloa as it is a place to resolve marriage/relationship issues, do you want to be sure if your spouse is being faithful to you or Do you want your Ex to come back,  happy marriage love spell, unable to get pregnant, Loto Spell, protection spell, traveler spell, job spell, attraction charms, extreme protections and so on. Contact him Via Email-drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com / Whatsapp- +2347081986098. Website- drimolaherbalmademedicine.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete